Voting by Mail
Any registered voter may request a vote-by-mail ballot for any election. To apply for a one-time VBM ballot you can:
- Fill out and send in the vote-by-mail ballot application printed on the back page of your Sample Ballot. The sample ballot is mailed to each registered voter approximately 40 days before each election. Remember to sign the application.
- Write to us at Yolo County Elections, PO Box 1820, Woodland, CA 95776. You must include the name and date of the election for which you are applying. Print your name, your residence address, and the address to which you would like the ballot mailed. Be sure to provide your signature. If you also include a telephone number where you can be reached during normal business hours, we can call you if we have any questions.
- Fax your request to us at 530-666-8123. Please make sure that all the information above is included in your faxed request.
- Apply in person at the Yolo County Elections Office at 625 Court Street, Room B-05, Woodland, between 8:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.
- Use the federal application if you are overseas or serving in the military
- Use an application provided by some campaigns. (Because these usually take more time to reach us, your ballot may not arrive as fast as if you apply to us directly.)
We will issue your vote-by-mail ballot on the same day we receive your request. Note: The first day we can issue a vote-by-mail ballot is 29 days before an election and the last day we can accept applications by mail or fax is 7 days before an election.
To apply for permanent vote-by-mail status, request an application or visit our office.